Cloud Atlas: Chapter Summary (Chapter 9: Half-Lives: The First Luisa Rey Mystery)
40. Water is getting inside Luisa’s car. She unbuckles herself and gets out the window, before realizing the report is still inside. She goes back in to get it, but is running out of air.
41. Isaac Sachs gets the feeling he will never see Luisa again. Isaac writes in his notebook about history and truth; a theory of history as a series of shells nested in shells. He admits he has fallen for Luisa right before the jet he is on explodes.
42. Bill Smoke reports to Lloyd Hooks that Alberto, Isaac and Luisa have all been taken care of.
43. Hester Van Zandt is watching divers at the river. Back at her trailer, Milton is watching Luisa. She is going to go into hiding to avoid any more assassination attempts. Milton offers to drive her to Buenas Yerbas.
44. Milton calls Napier and offers him Luisa’s location for money.
45. When Luisa opens the door to her apartment, Javier is there and says her Uncle Joe is here to see her. Napier tries to convince Luisa he doesn’t want to hurt her.
46. Napier was a cop in 1945, and Luisa’s father saved him from a grenade, losing his own eye in the process. Napier came here to warn her, to tell her about Bill, but Luisa ignores his warning.
47. Javier and Luisa walk downstairs. Javi asks if it is possible to change the future.
48. Bill Smoke is attending a fundraiser hosted by Judith Rey, Luisa’s mother. Luisa enters the room.
49. Luisa is eating dinner and scares away some possible suitors.
50. Bill Smoke introduces himself to Luisa’s mother. Luisa is intensely watching news of the Jet explosion that killed Isaac and Alberto.
51. Back at the magazine, Spyglass is being sold.
52. Fay Li makes a visit to Joe’s office. They tell him that he is being let go early.
53. At the music store, Luisa hears an intensely familiar melody, but she cannot place it. It is actually the Cloud Atlas Sextet.
54. K.P. Ogilvy fires Luisa. Luisa asks if the company buying Spyglass also works with Seaboard. He averts her question.
55. Joe is driving out to his log cabin. He tries to relax, but dreams about Bill Smoke killing Margo.
56. Luisa spent the night at her Mother’s. In the morning, she is reading news about Seaboard’s new CEO, Lloyd Hooks.
57. Luisa goes to her regular diner, only to find her old boss there. He was blackmailed by Seaboard to let them fire Luisa, and gives her some of his contacts to help with her investigation.
58. Luisa packs up her office, and, in her mail, she finds the envelope Robert sent before he died. Inside is a safe deposit key.
59. Robert writes that he left a copy of the report in the safe. Luisa drives to the bank.
60. Fay Li and three armed men are waiting inside the saferoom for Luisa to arrive. They grab her and take the key. Li orders Luisa killed, and reveals she is working for a client who wants to take down Seaboard. When Luisa is taken out, Li opens the box and grabs the report, triggering a bomb.
61. Luisa is knocked over from the blast. She is picked up by a fireman who takes her towards a black chevy.
62. Joe Napier hits the “fireman” over the head with a bat. Joe and Luisa walk towards the crowd to get away from Bill Smoke’s men. They enter a warehouse.
63. Bill Smoke and his men follow them.
64. Joe and Luisa run through the warehouse while being shot at. They find an emergency exit. Joe shoots it open, and inside is a sweatshop. Inside, one of the men threatens to shoot them, when a Mexican worker hits him over the head with a wrench. Luisa and Joe are unhurt.
65. On the subway, Joe and Luisa regroup. Joe says he has someone flying in.
66. Megan Sixsmith is sitting at a museum. Luisa sits down beside her. Luisa tells Megan Robert was murdered. Megan tells Luisa that he may have left a copy of his report on his yacht.
67. On the way to the Starfish, Joe and Luisa pass the restored Prophetess. Luisa is strangely drawn to the ship, and her birthmark throbs. Aboard the yacht, they find a copy of the report. Bill Smokes appears and shoots Joe.
68. Joe manages to shoot Bill before he dies.
69. Margo wakes up in the hospital.
70. The story is out, and Lloyd Hooks is on the run. Luisa reads the newspaper, a postcard from Javier and opens a package from Megan containing Robert’s final letters to Rufus Sixsmith.